Baked “Fried” Green Tomatoes
These are a light (yet delicious!) take on a Southern favorite.
- 2 large green (unripe) tomatoes
- ¾ cup Bow & Arrow Brand yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon onion granules (granulated onion, often labeled as “onion powder”)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup nondairy milk (plain and unsweetened)
- Oil spray (olive or other neutral-flavored oil spray)
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Slice the tomatoes into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Combine the cornmeal, seasoned salt, onion granules, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir well to thoroughly combine. Place the milk in another bowl and set aside.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and set aside.
- Begin your production line: Dip your tomatoes in the milk, then coat lightly with the cornmeal mixture (both sides). Place on the baking sheet.
- Spray the tops generously with the oil and place in the oven.
- After ten minutes, flip over and spray generously with the oil again. Bake another ten minutes. Flip and spray one last time and bake a final ten minutes. Remove and serve immediately.