Corn and Flour Tortillas
Homemade tortillas are actually quite easy to make, healthy, and very economical. You can use these whole grain tortillas with your favorite Mexican dishes, serve them hot with a little margarine, or make them into tortilla crisps.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup Bow & Arrow Brand yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons flaxmeal (ground flaxseeds)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons oil (sunflower, coconut, or olive)
- In a medium bowl, place the flour, cornmeal, flaxmeal, and salt. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the water and oil to the dry mixture and stir well.
- Knead for about 20 seconds and form into a large ball. Divide into eight even sections and form each into balls. Allow to rest for at least ten minutes.
- Roll out one of the balls (with a rolling pin) on a lightly floured surface until it’s at least six inches in diameter.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Place the tortilla on the hot pan (unoiled) for about two minutes on each side (until lightly browned and bubbly on both sides), then remove to a plate.
- Repeat steps four and five until your tortillas are all made up. Store leftover tortillas in an airtight container or bag, refrigerated or frozen.
Makes about 8 medium sized tortillas