Whole Grain Cornbread
- 2 tablespoons flax meal (ground flaxseed)
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups nondairy milk
- 1/3 cup oil (non-virgin olive, melted coconut, or sunflower)
- Preheat the oven to 400F. For skillet cornbread, place a large (12-inch) iron skillet in the oven to warm it while you’re making the cornbread. For muffins, lightly oil ten cups in a standard size muffin tin.
- Combine the flaxseed meal with the water in a small bowl and stir. Set aside for at least five minutes, or until gooey.
- In another small bowl, combine the vinegar and milk. Set aside.
- In the meantime, combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk or stir well, until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Combine the flax mixture with the vinegar/milk mixture. Stir well, then whisk in the oil. Once very well combined, stir into the dry mixture. Combine well, but do not over-mix.
- Remove the skillet (if using) from the oven and spray or lightly coat with oil. Pour the batter into the skillet and smooth out the top. If making muffins, pour the batter evenly into ten muffin cups. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!
Makes 10 servings (10 slices or 10 standard-size muffins)